December 7, 2009
THIS WEEK IN BISD
• Watauga Middle School is having a book fair Dec. 7-11.
• Holiday Heights Elementary’s PTA is sponsoring a holiday shop Dec. 7-11. Students can purchase gifts for family and friends. For information, call 817.547.2600.
• Holiday Heights Elementary’s fifth-grade Christmas musical begins at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 in the cafeteria. There will be a short PTA meeting prior to the performance. For information, call 817.547.2600.
• The Stowe Singers from Stowe Elementary will present their fifth-grade musical at 6:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 in the cafeteria. For information, call 817.547.2413.
• Watauga Middle School’s PTA/community volleyball game begins at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 in the gym. Superintendent Dr. Stephen F. Waddell will play with the teachers and Trustee Ralph Kunkel will play with the police officers and firemen. For information, call 817.547.4800.
• Smithfield Elementary’s PTA meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 in the cafeteria. The fifth-grade classes will perform.
• Mullendore Elementary’s PTA meeting begins at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 in the cafeteria. The fourth-grade classes will perform.
• BISD’s fine arts programs will host holiday event as follows:
Tuesday, Dec. 8
North Oaks Middle School band concert, 7 p.m. in the school gym
Richland Middle School band concert, 7 p.m.
Richland Middle School choir concert, 7 p.m.
Smithfield Middle School choir concert, 7 p.m.
North Richland Middle School band concert, 7:15 p.m., Richland High
Thursday, Dec. 10
Watauga Middle School band concert, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 11
Haltom High School choir concert, 7 p.m.
Smithfield Middle School band concert, 7 p.m., Birdville High
Haltom Middle School band concert, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 12
Haltom High School choir concert, 7 p.m.
• The Athletics Department of Birdville ISD is having their annual Hall of Honor dinner beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 10 at the Fine Arts/Athletics Complex. The 2009 inductees are Jim Hardin, Joe Bill Fox, Hugh Hamm, Dee Wood, Robert Cowan and Kelvin Garmon. The master of ceremonies for this special evening is Jody Dean. Tickets are $20 and are available at the Fine Arts/Athletics Complex or Thomas Coliseum. For information, call 817.547.5820.
• Third-grade students at The Academy at West Birdville will present “The Nutcracker” at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 10.
• Mullendore Elementary is having Chuck E. Cheese Night from 5-8 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 10. Chuck E. Cheese is on Boulevard 26. For information, call 817.547.1900.
• North Richland Middle School is having “A Night of Inspiration: Art and Essay Created by Students, Inspired by Students” on Thursday, Dec. 10 at Barnes & Noble at North East Mall. There will be a reception from 6-6:30 p.m. with presentations and recognition of students at 6:30 p.m. There will be drawings for prizes and a percentage of purchases will go to North Richland Middle School. For information, call 817.547.4200.
• Francisco Elementary’s PTA meeting begins at 7 p.m. on the Thursday, Dec. 10. The Performance Club will present “The Holiday Moosical.” Parents, students and community members are invited to attend.
• Major Cheney Elementary at South Birdville’s annual “Tour of Lights” begins at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 10. For information, call 817.547.2300.
• Haltom High School’s choir department is presenting “A Haltom Holiday” Friday, Dec. 11 and Saturday, Dec. 12 in the school cafeteria. Seating opens at 6:30 p.m. with dessert and show beginning at 7 p.m. Golden tickets (reserved seating) are $10 per person, adult/student tickets are $7 per person, children 10 and under are $5 each, and children three and under are free. For information, call 817.547.6067 for tickets or e-mail Haley_Carbonero@birdville.k12.tx.us.
• Hardeman Elementary’s PTA “Crazy Hat Day” and fundraiser parties are Friday, Dec. 11. Kindergarten, first- and second-graders begin at 1 p.m., and third-, fourth- and fifth-grades begin at 2 p.m.
• Haltom High School’s theater department is sponsoring babysitting and Christmas activities for children from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 12. This is for infant through 8-years-old. Children will have stories, a holiday movie, a sing-a-long, crafts, snack and games. Please bring all needed diapers and food for infants. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817.547.6126. Drop-ins are welcome.
• BISD’s fine arts programs will host holiday event as follows:
Richland High School choir concert, 7 p.m.
Birdville High School band concert, 7 p.m.
Haltom High School band concert, 7 p.m.
Watauga Middle School choir concert, 7 p.m.
North Ridge Middle School band concert, 7 p.m., Richland High
North Oaks Middle School choir concert, 7 p.m.
Haltom Middle School choir concert, 7 p.m.
Birdville High School choir concert, 7 p.m.
North Ridge Middle School choir concert, 7:30 p.m., Richland High
North Richland Middle School choir concert, 7:15 p.m.
Richland High School band concert, 7 p.m.
• Green Valley Elementary’s PTA meeting begins at 7 p.m. on Dec. 14. The Valley Voices will perform.
• Mullendore Elementary’s spelling bee begins at 8:30 a.m. on Dec. 14.
• Smithfield Elementary’s PTA will host a teacher/staff holiday luncheon on Dec. 15.
• Major Cheney Elementary at South Birdville third-, fourth-, and fifth-grade students will perform “Santa’s Holiday Playlist” at 7 p.m. on Dec. 15. There will be a short PTA meeting prior to the performance.
• Smith Elementary’s fifth graders will perform at 6 p.m. on Dec. 15. For information, call 817.547.1600.
• Watauga Middle School’s spelling bee is Dec. 16.
• Birdville Elementary’s spelling bee is Dec. 16.
• Hardeman Elementary’s Incredible Pizza Party for fundraiser winners begins at 11 a.m. on Dec. 16.
• Smithfield Elementary’s winter class parties are Dec. 17. Kindergarten and fifth-grade are from 1-2 p.m., first- through fourth-grades are from 2-3 p.m.
• Foster Village Elementary’s holiday choir concert begins at 7 p.m. on Dec. 17. For information, call 817.547.3100.
• BISD students will attend school for a half-day on Dec. 18. Elementary students will be dismissed at 11 a.m. and secondary students at 11:30 a.m. Students and staff will be on break from Dec. 21 - Jan. 1. Monday, January 4 is a professional learning day for staff and holiday for students. School resumes on Jan. 5, 2010.
• Hardeman Elementary’s counseling department invites third- and fourth-grade moms to a “Muffins for Moms” at 7:30 a.m. on Jan 6, 2010 in cafeteria.
• Hardeman Elementary’s spelling bee is Jan. 13, 2010.
• BISD has received an Even Start Family Literacy Program Grant and is starting classes for parents and children on Jan. 11, 2010 at Major Cheney Elementary at South Birdville. If you have children between the ages of two months and seven-years-old, and need adult literacy or English as a second language (ESL) classes while your children are being taught in an early childhood classroom, call Sally Bermea at 817.547.2352.
• Hardeman Elementary’s PTA “Tie Day” is Jan. 22.
• Birdville High School’s baseball booster club has several opportunities to support the 2010 baseball team. Visit www.birdvillebaseball.net for details.
• Congratulations to The Academy at C.F. Thomas, Green Valley, North Ridge, Smithfield, Snow Heights and Walker Creek elementaries, and North Ridge and Smithfield middle schools for qualifying for this year’s Keep NRH Beautiful Green Campus Award. These schools will receive a check for $150 along with a 2009-10 sign to post on their Green Campus sign. The presentations will be made at the City of North Richland Hills City Council meeting at 7 p.m. on Jan. 25, 2010.
• Wesley Gipson and Steven Euler, Richland High School, were named to the Pampa Lions VFW Invitational Basketball Tournament All-Tournament Team. Steven Euler was also named Tournament MVP and earned a $1,000 scholarship.
• The Birdville Center of Technology and Advanced Learning (BCTAL) hosted an eighth-grade recruiting day Nov. 5-6. The SkillsUSA students and their advisors had the opportunity to promote Career and Technical Education programs to these future high school students. One student, representing each of the programs, volunteered to participate. All seven middle schools participated in tours during the two days. The eighth-grade students were brought over to the BCTAL on buses and were divided into 13 groups; they were then escorted through each of the programs. Each program prepared an overview explaining the highlights of their area.
• Smithfield Elementary’s Wonderful Wildcats for the six weeks are: Kathryn Green, P.J. Kunath, Logan Sifuentes, Vivian Hsueh, Isabel Magee, Hannah McCracken, Morgan Purdy, Ryan Tijerina, Michael Aguilera, Cole Lee, Dylan Graffis, Jynna Martinson, Ashtyn Forman, Steven Guilbert, Faith Bell, Haven Gonzales, Taylor Hamilton, Michael Heath, Jada Esquibel, Jacob Martinez, Gianni Nunez. These students were selected because they exhibit this six-week’s virtue, responsibility. They were honored at a breakfast on Nov. 24.
• Birdville ISD is accepting OPEN ENROLLMENT, tuition-free transfers of resident and non-resident students for the 2009-10 school year. For information, visit www.birdvilleschools.net/openenrollment.
• BISD is accepting online applications for parent/community volunteers for the 2009-10 school year. New and returning volunteers can enter their application online at http://www.birdvilleschools.net/cf/volunteer/index.cfm.
• BISD started an employee recognition program called “A Touch of Class.” This program is an opportunity for students, staff, parents and community members to recognize employees for the extra-ordinary things they do for children and the district. For information, or to make a nomination, visit the district’s Web site at www.birdvilleschools.net.
• Birdville ISD and JPS have joined together to provide two school based clinics in the district. One is in Haltom City at 2807 Layton Ave. in Haltom City, and the other is on the south side of the Academy at C.F. Thomas at 8200 O’Brian Way in North Richland Hills. The clinic treats students in BISD and their sibling’s ages newborn to 18-years-old for a $5 office charge. Services include: well child visits, sports physicals, acute care, chronic illnesses (asthma, diabetes), immunizations, and much more. The clinic does not have X-ray capabilities or dental services. They see uninsured students or Medicaid that do not have a specified primary care physician. For appointments, call 817.759.2035 (Haltom City) or 817.547.3046 (C.F. Thomas).